Monday, February 13, 2012

Official Adoption Day in Zhengzhou

Morning, February 13 "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew Him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God." 1 John 3:1 , 2 "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us. Consider who we were, and what we feel ourselves to be even now when corruption is powerful in us, and you will wonder at our adoption. Yet we are called "the sons of God." What a high relationship is that of a son, and what privileges it brings! What care and tenderness the son expects from his father, and what love the father feels towards the son! But all that, and more than that, we now have through Christ. ~Charles Spurgeon

The paragraph above was in my devotional yesterday morning, the day we received Isabel. How appropriate and how gracious of God to give us this reminder on the very day that we adopt her as our daughter.

I stand amazed at what a smooth first 24 hours we have had with Ya Ya. I know we are likely to have some rough moments--especially as she feels more comfortable and safe with us and make be less inclined to be compliant all the time--but she has been so pleasant and easy so far.

Last night it was so fun to watch her smile at the screen when we skyped with Anna and Lilly (Jared was already out the door to school), and she happily played with her new little doll in Baba's lap as he dozed. She has no problem letting me brush (and brush and brush) her teeth (which surprised me--when I saw how bad her teeth looked I suspected she had never seen a toothbrush before or had always put up a fight when brushing). When I told her it was time for bed, she smiled and said "ok!" and happpily cllimbed up into what is probably to softest, plushest bed in which she has ever slept, wearing new soft fuzzy footy PJs, and laid right down. I prayed over her and kissed each of her hands and her forehead just as I do with Lilly and she just smiled. I told her daddy and I were tired too and would be going to bed soon in the other bed and she said "ok!" By the time we were done brushing our teeth and getting ready for bed, she was asleep without a whimper.

It is now 6:40am and she is still sleeping soundly--barely a peep through the night (just sleeping noises and squeaks now and then). I am curious to see how she'll feel when she wakes up and sees that this is all not just a dream.

Today is the official adoption day--after breakfast we will head to the registration office and the notary office to have all of the paperwork sealed, notarized, then sent for translation.

Tomorrow we may get to visit the orphanage at Luoyang--today we will continue to evaluate her to decide if a visit will cause her any anxiety or renewed grieving. I suspect she will do just fine.

3 comments:

  1. I just LOVED reading this post!!! The teeth brushing issue is just so sad though...I am so happy for all of you and the thought of that sweet little girl getting to live the happiest life possible is just wonderful!! :) She and Lilly are both such lucky little girls..as is your family..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm so happy things are going so well! I can't help but think that a lot of it is due to her being able to talk to you. What a difference for the child when they can be told what to expect and what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad it is going so well! I stumbled on your blog at the time you adopted Lilly and it's been wonderful to follow along. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete