Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Have I Mentioned that She's Ours?

Today made that even more evident than any adoption decree could.

After a quick skype to the kids and Grammy at home (I sure miss those guys!! Sorry I wasn't there to help with your Chinese homework, Jared!), we packed up some donations and headed to the van to take us to the Luoyang CHildren's Welfare Center, about a 2-hour drive from here. One other adoptive mom from our travel opted to come since her son was also from Luoyang; the other two Luoyang families opted not to come (just as we opted not to go to Lilly's orphanage because of the distance and possible emotional trauma for Lilly).

The ride itself was mostly uneventful--it was nice to talk to the other adoptive mom, who has also adopted from the Ukraine--except for Ya Ya getting carsick about two thirds of the way there. (of course I hadn't brought extra clothes).


We had explained where we were going and that it would only be a quick visit, but that she would come back with Mama and Baba. WHen I asked her if she wanted to go see her friends and ayis, she actually slightly shook her head "no." I made sure she thoroughly understhood she would not be staying there again by having our guide reiterate it in case I wasn't making it clear enough in my Mandarin, and she still didn't seem thrileld by the idea of going. We still carried through with our plan to go, figuring she would still do ok and we really wanted to see where she had lived and have the chance to get some photos of the children there for waiting and prospective adoptive parents in the States, just as we had benefitted from others sending us photos of Isabel while we waited.

When we pulled up, her face brightened when she first saw the outside of the building. She very clearly recognized it. She managed to say hello to the director who met us at the entrance. THen we went in. The smell was the same smell that was on her clothes when we received her--not a good stench. It was pretty grim and dark in the hallways. They led us down the hallway to see her "school room" and her little classmates were SO excited to see her! They came running over calling out her name and smiling. The teachers/ayis were also happy to see her and smiled and said "look! Huanya has come to see us!" Isabel responded by closing her eyes and wailing a wail quite similar to the one she had cried the day we received her. Please don't leave me here with these people! Only *this* time we were the GOOD people.

I immediately scooped her up and held her close, remining her quietly that we were only visiting and would soon leave to go back to the hotel with Mama and Baba. The ayis gave me a piece of artwork she had done at some point, and then we moved on to see the sleeping rooms. I continued to carry her (she is quite heavy!) throughout the orphanage after that, just to reassure her and prevent any ayis from attempting to pick her up. One of them actually attempted to take her from my arms but I held tight and leaned back and Isabel made no motion toward the ayi at all. By the time we got to see her bedroom, she was secure enough to set down and she immediately pointed out her bed to me when we walked in. She willingly Stood by the bed for a photo, but the look on her face is clearly not the same joyful look she has had for the past few days...much more subdued. Once we got outside again, she was willing to smile and pose for some pictures in front of the orphanage.

I had hoped to talk with some 12 year old twin boys, but they were still in class. So we said we would come back after visiting the train station where the other adoptive mom's child had been found abandoned. She took lots of photos there, then back to the orphanage we went so I could meet the boys. That meeting went well and I have some photos and some video footage to share with a prospective adoptive family. Isabel and Tom stayed in the van while I did that to further solidify to her that she is absolutelty DONE at that place and when we got back to the van Tom told me she hadn't stopped babbling happily to him (in Chinese) since I had left. She has been more animated and happy now more than ever. She seems to have even more life rather than just a pleasant attitude, showing more personality and talking more. I think it is sinking in her for as well as for us that she is, indeed, ours and nothing can change that now.

We were supposed to stay and have lunch with the orphanage director and some workers after that, but Isabel had starting throwing up in the van after the train station, so we had a good reason to bow out of lunch.

Once we got back and had a nice bath and did lots of laundry, we have been having hallway playtime with the other kiddos and their parents. We have opted not to take part in any tours tomorrow so she doesn't have to ride in the car again (since the next day we fly to Guangzhou).

An update on our friends adopting the 12-year-old, praiase the Lord she has given her consent and has even become friends with an American 11-year-old in our group who is here adopting her little brother with her family. They are even having a slumber party in the hotel tonight after a girls' shopping afternoon with one of the guides and the 12-year-old's new adoptive mom. Praise the Lord! They definitely will have work ahead of them, but a huge hurdle is now over and it is so good to see smiles on their daughter's beautiful face now that she has a friend.

We are praying for better rest tonight than we have had for the past few nights...Tomorrow will be a low-key day--we may try to hit the pool with Bella and see how she likes it.

And, yes, I am still technologically inept. Because I am updating the blog on my iPad, and my photos are on my iPhone, I cannot seem to find a way to get the photos from there to here. Even when the photos are on my iPad, I cannot seem to find a way to get them onto the blog. I kjnow a way must exist, but someone more technologically savvy than me (and less droid-centric than Tom!) will have to show me someday. For now, I will continue to put most of my (many) words here, and some of my photos on Facebook (*not all of them as upload speeds are so slow...)

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. This is the BEST post so far Amy!! I LOVED it! From Isabel realizing she has a family and your friends a new daughter (and her a family) This just made my day!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about Isabel and her realization that she is indeed part of a forever family, makes me so happy as I know it does all of you!!! She is a wonderful addition to your already wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad things are going well!! Your sweet girl is beautiful!

    I just read this post!
    Email me as soon as you can at
    jmulva3@aol.com

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete