I am writing this post from the computers at the "Children's Harbor" at the Children's Hospital, while waiting for a load of laundry to finish. How nice that they have this area in the hospital for families to utilize--laundry, fitness room play areas, toys and books, computers...all free.
As I walked in the sunshine from the hotel to the hospital with a backpack full of stinky clothes this afternoon, I felt like I was breaking free from confinement. I'm going to make this a quick post so I can enjoy some time to simply stretch my legs and walk the hospital a bit while my clothes get clean and dry.
Lilly is a lot better at this business of lying around and resting than her mama is.
She is doing great. Slept soundly through the night, awakened around 6:30am by her bladder. We decided last night not to wake her to give meds since sleep seemed more important and she hasn't complained of any pain. Her back hurt a little this morning, so we started her right back up on her regular meds. She is getting quite skilled at all sort of activities while lying in bed, and Tom and I are getting skilled at holding books above our heads to read out loud while we lie by her side to read to her. Many of the card games and activity books that never get opened at home are coming in wonderfully handy here!
Having configured a way to log into his e-mail at work, Tom is probably getting more work done here than he would have back in his office. I know it's hard for him to be away from things there, so it's a blessing that he can do this. And it is also SO good to see him reading to and playing with Lilly, something that our weekly schedules don't allow for often at home.
As for me, I am learning to be still...those of you who know me well know I don't do that well. But it is a commandment--be still and know that I am God--and I am having an accelerated lesson in that now. The stack of reading materials I had lugged with me to the hospital--then found myself wondering why I had bothered since I couldn't focus on them mentally at all--I am now able to read and absorb. And just sitting and lying by my Lilly is a *good* thing. She most definitely craves our nearness, so I am doing my best to joyfully give it. Sometimes that is easy, sometimes (like when I selfishly want to go downstairs to get some breakfast or coffee or go run on the treadmill) it is not.
If any of you has some good children's finger plays or fun guessing games we can do while lying down, I welcome suggestions!!
Still standing in amazement at how wonderfully all of this has gone and how well she seems to be healing! Praise Jesus!
ooo how about making a tent over the bed she is laying in and grab a flashlight or two? Always fun to read or play in a tent! Or shadow puppets up on the ceiling? SO glad she's doing well! Blessings friend!
ReplyDeleteOoooh! Great ideas Sonia! Thx!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy to hear she is healing so well and that she is so very cooperative, that makes things so much easier for all of you..:)
ReplyDelete