Thursday, September 2, 2010

Whew, What a Day!

Lilly and I made it safely to and from Birmingham yesterday for her renal sonogram and urodynamics tests.  The drive each way went smoothly (found a new, faster, more open way up to Birmingham in the morning, but my GPS diverted me a to slower route on the way home...grrrr.)  After a 5am departure from Niecville, we arrived at Children's in plenty of time for her first appointment.  They actually got us right in on time for her renal sonogram (she cried but mostly cooperated) and it took all of 5 minutes to complete.  Then we went back downstairs to let them know we were done with that and owuld come back at 2pm as instructed for the second test.  Rather than leaving the hospital for a lengthy lunch break, however, they got us right into the urodynamics room, sliding us into a slot for someone who had failed to show up as scheduled for their appointment.  What a blessing!  We were completely done with both of Lilly's tests about 90 minutes before we were supposed to even start the second test!  We had just enough time waiting for the urologist to arrive to practice a urodymics test on her baby doll, which I think helped to alleviate her fears somewhat.  It was not a pleasant procudure for Lilly--who would like to have a catheter artificially filling the bladder and then be expected to empty your bladder while lying on a hospital table?  But she was a real trooper and, with minimal crying--mostly whimpering--she cooperated, held still, and the test was over fairly quickly.  Praise God, everything looks completely normal!


So, rather than spending the night and driving home THursday, we pressed on home in time for Lilly to go to Cubbies.  She took a nice long nap on the drive home.

We saw some behavior regression last night, however, at bedtime.  These days, normally she is happy as can be when we tuck her in, kiss her goodnight, and retire to our own bedroom.  Last night, however, she cried hard when I put her to bed, saying she "didn't want to sleep alone" and, even while I laid next to her in her bedroom, continued to whimper for quite awhile.  I think the long day, early morning, and traumatic medical procedures took their toll on my sweet girl.  I know as we look ahead at surgery in a few weeks, the stress of it all is likely to push her in this direction so extra patience and wisdom are needed.  Thankfully last night, once she was asleep, she slept soundly through the night.

So, 3 weeks from now, she will face her first surgery.  We are confirmed for a CT with sedation and pre op on the 21st, and spinal cord surgery scheduled on the 22nd.  Stay tuned, and thanks for reading and praying.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amy! I am so thankful that you guys were able to be seen quickly and had uneventful trip there and back. I will keep sweet Lilly and you all in my prayers.
    Love and Misses,
    Nili

    ReplyDelete