Monday, January 25, 2016

The 2016 Blizzard Edition

I've been taking a break from Facebook for the past few weeks, and loving the extra time and mental energy this break has afforded me.  


But, if you've been on Facebook much (or if you happen to live in the mid-Atlantic), you know there's been a blizzard recently.  

In the spirit of my Facebook break, I thought I'd share my pics and thoughts here with more thought than just posting a quick post of pics.  


The time that a blizzard affords us is a gift.  It's a chance to step off of the treadmill of life, slow the pace, savor our homes and our families, play, wonder at God's power and the beauty of His creation, and just breathe.  


My 15-year-old said it best the other day...something along the lines of "in the DC area, man feels like he is invincible and can do all things.  All it takes is a foot or two of snow to bring all of man's efforts to a screeching halt."


Job said it pretty well too: 


'God’s voice is glorious in the thunder. We can’t even imagine the greatness of his power.  “He directs the snow to fall on the earth and tells the rain to pour down.  Then everyone stops working so they can watch his power." 'Job 37:5-7 NLT


A blizzard that shuts down the city and blocks our streets, closing schools and government offices for days on end, is also a chance to help neighbors and pull together as a community.  


Not only do we spend time together playing, sledding, and drinking hot cocoa...























 but also shoveling, pushing cars, digging out heat pumps and fire hydrants...















and rewarding ourselves with a happy hour fire pit and lots of great food, including Korean BBQ...  















...and we even spent time together as neighbors worshiping on Sunday when all the church services were cancelled.











These pictures make it look glamorous and fun, and it is quite exciting.  Indeed, all the hype in the news and among weather forecasters was justified.
The flip side, however, is that we are all sore and tired from shoveling, the kids are a little out of sorts (some more than others), and even us grown ups might be feeling a little "off" with normal routines disrupted.  For some who struggle more than others with emotional regulation, this disruption can mean an increase in meltdowns and a tenuous tone in the home that everyone can feel.  I feel a blog post coming on along these lines.  Perhaps you have someone in your home who fits this description and I'm not alone.
Until I get to write it, I am praying for wisdom to love my brood well as I support those in my midst who are struggling in these days of abnormal rhythms.  May I be walking in the Spirit and giving life and light to those around me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment