Lately, weeks can go by with such speed that I sometimes find myself bewildered at what month it has already become.
Indeed, I cannot believe that my last blog post was nearly two months ago.
(In case you've been hanging and wondering about Lilly's infection all this time--my apologies, since that was the last thing about which I blogged--she's doing fine...infection free after a month of antibiotics. God is gracious and merciful.)And hence, the reason for the title tonight.
So much. So fast.
EmailCarpoolsCalendarsHomeworkMealsGroceriesMedicalAuthorizationsEducationalConsultationsLaundryVacuumingPianoLessonsTidyingDishesDrivingPracticeWalkingDogRefuelingCarWipingCountersMoppingFloorsScrubbingToiletsExercisingDoingBibleStudyPhoneCallsMedicalAppointmentsOTAppointmentsDentalAppointmentsSwimTeamBandPracticeChurchChineseSchool....andit'sMondayagainalready?
I have always been the kind of person who likes things to be in order. When I was little, I used to get so upset by my brothers (much to their delight) when they would sneak into my room and ever-so-slightly shift the positions of my little Holly Hobbie radio and my little porcelain kitten alarm clock (before the days of clock-radios, before the days of digital clocks, and WAY before the days of cell phone alarms) that I had so perfectly aligned on my night stand. I used to pack my school book bag the night before and have my clothes laid out for the next morning. I used to have to-do lists that always got completed and enjoyed the sense of accomplishment and relief when things were *finished* and I could simply relax and do something just for fun.
Order, control, and completion are things I have had to surrender in this current season of life. Surrender does not come easily to me. It is part of my pride complex--self-sufficiency, capability, organization, achievement--all things that I have historically allowed to sort of define me and give me confidence and a sense of self-satisfaction. Surrender, for me, was the enemy--a mark of failure.
Surrender, however, I must. Despite my 4am alarm clock, my detailed calendar and to-do list, and my best intentions, I am met at the end of each day, bleary-eyed, with life undone:
Dishes still dirty (or at least clean ones not yet put away).
Laundry un-finished (we'd have to all go naked all day for that to ever really happen.)
Those 10 extra pounds un-lost=clothing unflattering, uncomfortable.
House-cleaning incomplete. (again, we'd have to all move out).
Books stacked on the night stand un-read (most ironic thing ever--one of those books is entitled "Margin" and discusses the need for white space in our lives).
Emails unread or un-addressed.
Correspondence unsent.
Phone calls not made.
Even worse:
Conversation with my man unfinished.
Prayers unthoughtful.
Thoughts unclear.
Emotions uneasy.
Spirit unrefreshed.
All of this is not to somehow say that I am ok with things being undone, that surrender means giving up my goals, that having order in our home and our family life and in my soul is not a worthwhile pursuit. By all means it is and I will continue to press on toward that end.
What it does translate into, however, is this: Instead of *self* satisfaction in what I am able to complete and accomplish, I am learning to find *satisfaction* in God alone. I am learning that it can be well with my soul even when life is somewhat undone.
I am learning to seek discernment early in the morning for the day's priorities so that, at days' end, the things that are undone are the unimportant.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
(Psalm 103:1-5 ESV)
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
(Psalm 103:1-5 ESV)
Oh how I can relate! You are singing my song my friend. This ministered to me in a profound way. Thank you for your transperency! By the power of our testimony the enemy is defeated. May you and I my friend embrace this season for in to short of a time it will be gone and we will have regrets we can't get back time if we were too busy doing "stuff" on our list then living life "undone".
ReplyDeleteLove it!!!! I'm in the same season and oh how I love lists! I came to the realization last week that we put so much guilt onto ourselves. I had gotten up at 5am determined to give him my first fruits to him. I couldn't keep my eyes open. Then it hit me... I was up at 330 giving cough syrup to one, another came into my room to see that I was still there-ushered her back to bed, the dogs barked at sometime during the dark. God knows right where we are Amy!!! Undone lists, dust around my kitchen appliances, skipped workouts, forgotten appointments...he knows Amy!! And we have to cut ourselves slack. We are good Mamas and wives and God-fearing women! We can do this together hundreds of miles apart, but when I can hold my eyes open I will pray for you and with you!!! Much love! Melissa
ReplyDelete