Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On Another Roll...More Language Lessons...

I love the ball of yarn we get wrapped up in around here sometimes with language.  Lilly oftentimes needs me to translate what Bella is saying in Chinese (and even more often, I have to translate the reverse direction for Bella regardless of who is talking to whom.)  Today, our conversation went like this:

Lilly: "Mom, what does "ting bu dong" mean? (Chinese for "I don't understand (what you're saying)")
Me: "I don't understand what you're saying."
Lilly: (more loudly and slowly) "MOM!  WHAT DOES 'TING BU DONG' MEAN?!"
Me (laughing): "it MEANS 'I don't understand what you're saying!'"

And, for my friends who read this blog but who are not on Facebook to have read this earlier today, Lilly was so tickled today.  This afternoon, Lilly came running over to me beaming and said "MOM! I talked to Bella in English and she answered in ENGLISH! That makes my heart so happy!" The question she had asked Bella in English was "Are you my BFF?" and Bella's answer was "Yep."

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like things are coming along nicely and you're definitely NOT bored! ^_^

    I love the language mixups! This one made me laugh! ^_^

    Lots of Love & prayers for all of you and as you can, please let us know about Bella's medical/developments tests.

    Thank you for sharing your lives here with us. ^_^

    Nadine ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! When and where and how did you learn Chinese? I have been wanting to but don't quite know where to start. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, So I don't know why blogger won't allow me to "respond" to you directly, Sonia, but I studied Chinese in college and grad school, and lived in China (Nanjing) for a semester in grad school where my classes were conducted in Chinese and all my readings and papers were in Chinese. That was when the language realyl cemented in my brain. I never knew at the time that I would be speaking Chinese on a daily basis in my own home with my own children, but God--of course--knew it all along and I am so happy to have the language for these girls. I don't know how people do an "older" adoption without it...though i knwo these kiddos are amazing and learn English really quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok you are officially my hero. The end. One of our teens wants to study in China for a semester while in high school. We are shooting for first semester of his junior year. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy! I came across your blog today and absolutely love your story. My name is Amy as well :) and I work for a website called AJ Panda, which sells authentic Chinese goods in order to help families who have adopted from China continue to celebrate their child's heritage. Every Tuesday on the AJ Panda blog we share stories of families who have adopted from China. I would absolutely love to feature your family on our blog and share your story with the AJ Panda community. If you would at all be interested, please feel free to check out our blog and e-mail me at amy@ajpanda.com if you have any questions. Thanks Amy! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete