Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Yes, I'm still here...

I have been meaning to get online and just write a quick update, but life has been quite full lately and time has been limited.  So, suffice it to say that, if I'm not updating the blog, life is going just fine and we're keeping busy with our weekly activities and commitments! 

But let me give a quick overview and hopefully upload a few photos...

Lilly is doing great, nearly completely healed from her surgery (just a few little remnants of sutures remaining in her back, the scars are pretty minimal), and acting just like her normal, energetic, spunky, and mostly happy little self.  She was back to school right away after her surgery, back to all of her normal activities (except for swimming or lying down in the bathtub due to her stitches, for a few weeks).  Her teachers and our friends were all pretty amazed to find her just running and climbing and playing just like always when we got back home.  The surgery seems to be a distant memory for her now, though she does understand that we have more doctor's visits and surgeries to come.  On that note, we are back in waiting mode, awaiting word from CHOP about next steps and scheduling of her VEPTR surgery now that we have addressed the spinal cord issues.  Stay tuned!

Jared is wrapping up his cross-country season at school, and we are so proud of him that he qualified for the "elite" race at the middle school State-level meet in Tampa in November.  So we are planning a family trip to watch him compete and hope to round it out with a free trip to Busch Gardens (they offer free admittance to military families once a year--nice!).  He is working hard on his trombone, working on a solo for jazz band and nearing the end of football/pep band season.  School, for Jared, is a mixed bag...he is very bright and understands concepts really quickly.  The challenge for Jared (and for us as we try to help him!) is staying on top of details, keeping his work organized, and turning things in on time.  I'm hoping that somehow some special "organizational drive" will kick in before high school...somehow I'm thinking this is not just a phase but a character trait.  So we are working on it...

Anna is also keeping busy with school, swim team (doing great at recent meets, dropping her best times and having fun!), the youth orchestra at the local college, piano lessons, and AWANA.  She recently had the honor of playing her violin for the processional at her violin teacher's wedding, which took place in her beautiful back yard right on the water.  She, too, struggles with organizational skills and attention to detail with her school work, so we are working with her as well...  She is enjoying her teachers this year and seems to have a good social environment in her class which is a huge blessing.

Tom is busy with lots of travel this fall for work, in addition to simply keeping things running and keeping up with e-mail traffic at work!  He is in waiting mode right now about what might be next in his career...it's always an adventure to wonder what lies ahead!  We are grateful that God is bigger than the US Air Force and trust that He will lead us each step of TOm's career.

I was blessed to be able to attend the True Woman 2010 Conference in Fort Worth, Texas, recently.  What an amazing weekend it was, hearing many gifted speakers speak and teach on a variety of topics related to Biblical womanhood.  An added blessing was that I was able to spend the weekend with my friend, Rebecca Townsend, who moved from Niceville to Texas last year.  Now that I'm home from the conference, I am walking out what I learned and am excited for how God is working in my heart. 

We have had several triathlons recently, and I just registered online for next spring's Boston Marathon--April 2011--so I am back in marathon training mode!  The training itself is the gift and the blessing--so grateful for health and strength.  I don't take it for granted.

Here are some quick photos...I need to go now and get my girls ready for the day!


Here's Jared getting ready to do the half-time show at a home football game recently...

Here's Anna giving Lilly a dance lesson in the living room...

Here's Lilly sitting with Pop Pop the morning that we had to take him to the airport after we got back from Birmingham.

Here's Anna with the other two musicians who played for their teacher's wedding...

Here is Jared after receiving his medal for a 13th place finish at a recent regional cross-country invitiational (he's the third from the right in the back row, teal shirt)...

Here are the girls playing "Ode to Joy"

No comments:

Post a Comment