Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Posting, Processing, Prayerfulness, Purposefulness

In recent months, I have spent much less time than previously on social media.  I knew in my heart that too much of my time was frittered away scrolling, and--as much as I love keeping up with my friends and family and sharing about our lives in that way--I needed to guard my time well.  Life is precious and short, and there are so many things that vie for my eyes, my mind, my heart, my time, my attention.  I wanted to be sure I was giving myself to the things that matter the most.  Also--with subtle messages, some good, some not, constantly flowing through those same social media outlets--I also wanted to be sure the things that are shaping my thinking and my emotions are the right things.

It has been a blessed time of mostly being off of social media, just popping on now and then if I need to broadcast something or check on someone.  I have been more productive in my days--doing things more intentionally.  Even so, time still always seems short for the many plans and purposes I have.

One thing I'm realizing through this is that posting on social media used to provide for me an outlet for sharing how I'm doing, how WE'RE doing and for feeling connected with others. In addition, for me, some therapeutic processing happens when I can boil down *how I'm doing* into a quick social media update.  So this time away has forced me to take this processing into God's presence in prayer.  I have increasingly turned to Him to talk about how I'm doing, discern where I'm falling short, where I'm following His lead, where my activities and actions and attitudes are in line with His good purposes and plans.

It has been a blessing.

I'm grateful.

And I'm hopeful that I can still use words now and then for some therapeutic processing of life here on my blog, which (perhaps ironically!) I'll happily share on social media.  The kinds of words I'll share here will be, undoubtedly, more thought-through, and more worthy of my time and your time than any quick Facebook update could ever have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment